Saturday, August 9, 2008

Take Me Out To The Ball Game

My friend Nathan gave me a couple of extra tickets to the Colorado Rockies versus San Diego Padres baseball game this week. Andrea and I drove down to Coors Field in Denver tonight to see the game. I know, the Olympics were on TV and Michael Phelps broke the 400 meter independent medley. I missed it. I know, the Denver Broncos first pre-season game was on. I missed it. I know, UFC 87 was on pay per view featuring Georges St. Pierre versus Jon Fitch. I missed it.

But I'm glad I missed those things. Yeah, even the Broncos game. I had a really good time with Andrea at the game. Even though we lost 8 - 3. It was just nice to be able to spend time together and enjoy one another's company. I think the part that I enjoyed the most was actually walking to the ballpark from the car. We parked in kind of a rough neighborhood so we wouldn't have to pay for parking. We ended up having to walk passed a homeless shelter while a bunch of people were milling around outside. It was funny because Andrea's demeanor totally changed. I think that she realized that she was the only white person around. I guess I just find some other peoples discomfort entertaining.

As for the game, it was too bad that we lost. But I do love going to baseball games. There is just something about the atmosphere there. The music over the loud speakers, fan contests for prizes, and singing during the 7th inning stretch. There is almost something nostalgic about going to a baseball game. I noticed quite a few fathers and sons there enjoying the game and I realized that is one of the ways the love of baseball gets passed on from generation to generation. Much in the same way my dad passed along a love of football to me. Although I didn't grow up watching baseball with my dad, I do hope to pass on a love of the game (as well as a love of other sports) to my children.

No comments: